problem calibrating romanian map

• Hi,

I was pretty impressed by the possibilities of TTQV, a friend of mine demonstrated to me a few months ago.

Now I'm toying with TTQV trial, to see if it can match my requirements on an upcoming trip... but i'm having severe trouble calibrating a specific map.

The map is from a Romanian area, where i've been a while ago and that i would like to revisit, and of wich i have a few recorded gps-tracks. I use these tracks to check if the calibration looks is ok.

The closest I get is by using 'FREE' calibration and define 9 points of wich I know the exact coördinates by using other mapping software. This however is very labour-intensive, takes a lot of time, and is probably not the right way to do it.

The map has a grid-system on it, but it further does not give any specific details about the system being used. Although not sure, i suspect it to be a russian military map so i tried a second approach:
    I used Natianal Meter Grid 'Warschauer Pakt Zone 4 (datum: Pukolvo 1942).
    This gives some close result, but all my tracks seems to be shifted a few hundreds of meters, which renders the map useless for my needs. I guess, there is somekind of a Datum problem, but my knowledge in that matter is insufficient:.

I've spend several hours to find a better, more accurate calibration, but haven't found anything yet.
    As a last resort, I'm looking for somebody to have a look on my map, and help me out with this...

Tnx in advance!

• Hi,

upload it to some webspace and send me the link, service/at/ttqv.com

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Hello,

Zitat von "haze"

The map has a grid-system on it, but it further does not give any specific details about the system being used. Although not sure, i suspect it to be a russian military map so i tried a second approach:
    I used Natianal Meter Grid 'Warschauer Pakt Zone 4 (datum: Pukolvo 1942).

All russian maps are characterized by Label "S42" or "Systema 42". If contain the map Cyrillic letters, then the map is definitely a Russian military map. Notice, the Russian maps of eastern Romania use the Grid "Warschauer Pakt Zone 5" The used subsystem of the Russian map can you show in the first digit of easting value. The fist digit named the zone number of Russian grid.

All Romanian maps the contain latin letter use the Map Datum "Hermannskogel".

If you want a reference for calibration of maps in Romania, you can use the vector map:

http://www.elsinga.net/map_romania_erdely.html

greetings Joern Weber

Bei Supportanfragen bitte immer angeben:
    TTQV-Version (zB 4.0.87PU)
    Windows-Version
    Emulation (zB VM-Ware, Parallels)?
    GPSr: Marke/Typ/SW-Version
    Verbindung: Seriell/USB/USB-Seriell-Wandler

• Hello,

Jockel has send me the link for the map.

I'm has in the past not seen such map. This high resolution map is a brand-new product. Can you me say the source of the map? (mailto:weber.joern@t-online.de)

Test following:

calibrate the map with UTM grid and Map Datum WGS84

Use the the UTM zone 34

For the easting use the value from the map without the fist digit (in this case 4)

For a better analysis of this map, i need more time.

PS: Also read the Grids & Map Datum report for Romania from Cliford Mugnier:

http://www.asprs.org/resources/grids/

greetings Joern Weber

Windows-Version

• Hello Haze,

this map use a stereographic projection for the map self, with the Map Datum Dealul Piscului. The gird is a Gauß-Krüger-Grid with transverse Mercator projection, also know as "Russian grid" or "Deutsches Herresgitter", with 6° belts and 0,999750 scaling.

No way to calibrate a map with this complex parameters by TTQV. For calibration of this map is a big GIS required and a study of cartographic. Possible is for winning calibration also more information required. For procuring of more information is the source of this map and support from the publisher of map required. Without a publisher support also you have with other map viewer not a chance to calibration this map.

greetings Joern Weber

Windows-Version