Access denied with GE

• Hi,

When I try to use the Options/GoogleEarth/Show current mapdetail or Center QV mapcursor, I get the message "Access Denied".

I have searched the forum for answers, but all the posts are in German.

I would appreciate if anybody can help me out on this.

Thanks.

rhklee

• Dear Holger,

Thanks for your reply.

The link that you provide is very helpful. It refers to the problem of importing a map from Google Map. I have used it to solve the screen capture problem a few days ago. However, it does not solve the "Access Denied" problem. So further help is appreciated.

For your information, I am using the latest version of TTQV and GE, which are 4.0.110 and 4.3.7284.3916 (beta) respectively.

Best regards,

rhklee

• Hi,

seems to be a local rights problem on your PC. I tried all three options,
    center, display map, display marks, they work without any problem using
    WinXp-SP3.
    What Windows Version do you use?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Dear jockel,

I'm using the WinXp-SP3, English versions.

Actually, TTQV and GE have been working flawlessly together a few months ago. This "Access Denied" problem only surfaces recently. Same computer and same WinXp.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

rhklee

• Hi,

the whole problem might be a firewall issue, or altered security policies
    on your PC, not necessarily soemthing you set or altered by intention.

What you might try (you try at your own risk and you should know
    what you are doing!!!):
    - at least for testing, you do this with administrator rights
    - reset you internet security options to standard (Control Panel/Internetoptions)
    - provided your PC/internetAcces is located behind a NAT-router and you
    do no "directly dial in" (i. e., there is an additional and active barrier
    between you and www), for testing purposes, disable PCs local firewall and
    AV Software and alike gimmicks and retry.

???

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Hi

I have tried disabling the firewall, turning off internet security options and shutting down antivirus programs, but the "Access Denied" problem persists.

Finally, I reinstall an older version of Google Earth (4.1.7087.5048), and the problem disappears! All three options, center, display map, display marks works again!

I then reinstall the newest version of GE (4.3.7284.3916) back again and the problem of "Access Denied" re-appears.

It seems the whole issue is not to be a local rights problem, but an incompatibility between the newer version of GE with TTQV.

Any suggestion to get around this problem is appreciated.

Best regards,

rhklee.

• Hi,

Zitat von "rhklee"

...It seems the whole issue is not to be a local rights problem, but an incompatibility between the newer version of GE with TTQV...

Not necessarily! It is also possible, that the latest GE release handles
    whatever actions differently and these conflict with whatever settings of
    your local machine. I have XPSP3/QV4.0.110a/4.3.7284.3916 installed here
    too. To find out about whatever language problems I switched QV and GE to
    english, whatever mix I use, everything o.k......

...bla...bla.... :idea: :oops: ;-) There was something alike....
    Check, whether those standard file associations *.kml, *.kmz are still
    registered to GE! If this is gone, the problem as described appears!
    This seems to be a GE problem and occasionally happens on
    deinstalling/reinstalling/installing GE!

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Dear jockel,

You are right! There is no "Access Denied" problem once I register the .kml and .kmz file types to GE.

We are getting very near to solving the problem completely except for this one final hurdle. The GE opens, but it gets stuck with the following message : "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading". However, if I open the qv_mapdetail.kml file directly with GE's menu file-open, the map is displayed correctly in GE.

Any help on this?

Thanks.

Regards,

rhklee

• Hi,

did you restart your PC after setting those *.kml, *.kmz file
    extensions correctly?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hi,

what happens, if you do not open the "...\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml"
    wit GE menu but rather doubleklick on the file from MS-Explorer?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hi

Same message of "Could not open file File\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading" if I open it with MS-Explorer. But, if I open it directly with GE's menu File/Open, then the map detail is displayed correctly.

rhklee.

• Hi,

Zitat von "rhklee"

...Same message of "Could not open file File\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading" if I open it with MS-Explorer....

Well, then this is still a problem with file type associations and rights, same
    thing as before. Has absolutely nothing to do with TTQV. As soon as
    all your settings are o.k., doubleklicking such a file will open GE. Then TTQV
    will work too.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hi,

I think this information may help : If I double click other .kml files in MS Explorer, there is no problem at all. I have GPS tracks saved as .kml files and they are displayed correctly when double-clicked. The problem only applies to the TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml file, either double-clicked thr' MS-Explorer or activated in GE via TTQV4.

It seems that it is not a pure file-association problem.

It is reassuring that there is no "Access Denied" problem anymore.

rhklee

• Hi,

if you can open and display this file "TQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml" from GE
    menus, then it is a valid kml file. If double clicking this file from the including
    folder does not work, then there is whatever rights problem according to that
    file or to that folder or file type.

Delete all files from this temp folder, start QV, open a map, display
    whatever track, start with those actions one by one:
    Display Mapscursor in GE, what happens ?
    Display Marks in GE, what happens ?
    Display Map detail, what happens (no worldmap please, try with a raster/detail map)?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hi,

All 3 situations show similar results:

1. The GE opens without problem and there is no "Access Denied" message.
    2. While the GE is zooming in on the world globe image, it hangs up and displaying the following message respectively:
    "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_cursor.kml for reading"
    "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading"
    "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_marks.kml for reading".

Here is a summary of the significant results so far :
    1. If I go to the \program files\TTQV4\tmp folder and click on these qv_~.kml files, the result is exactly the same. That is, the GE opens, then hang up and display the above messages.

2. But if I open the files with GE's own menu Files-Open, the corresponding maps, cursor and marks are displayed correctly without any hitch.

3. If I click on any other .kml files (my own tracks history and not the qv_*.kml files) in other drives or folders under Windows Explorer, the GE opens and the tracks are displayed flawlessly.

Then come this strange result:
    4. If I copy these .kml files (my own tracks history) to the \Programe Files\TTQV4\tmp folder and click on these files under Explorer, GE opens but hangs up and display the message "Could not open file .........kml for reading"!! That means the TTQV4\tmp folder has something very special with respect to GE!

Could anybody shed light on this and hopefully solve the problem?

Regards,

rhklee

• Hi,

- copy those files "non working" files from ...\Programe Files\TTQV4\tmp
    to any other "regular" folder and doubleclick them, does GE start now
    and display the contents?

- this folder ...\Programe Files\TTQV4\tmp... which shows that strange
    behaviour, this is clearly a problem of "rights". Maybe try the following:
    - have TTQV and GE shut down
    - delete the folder \Programe Files\TTQV4\tmp
    - start TTQV and try again to display TTQV cursor in GE (this folder should
    be recreated by TTQV....) What happens?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hi,

I have been doing a lot of experiments in the past few hours, copying *.kml files to various folders and clicking on them under Explorer. I find that the problem is not limited to the \Program Files\TTQV4\tmp folder.

I think I have found out the answer now. Whenever there is one or more space in the file or folder name, eg. \Program Files\ or \Document and Settings\ or even \A B C\, GE cannot recognize the full path names. So GE will report respectively with the message "Could not open Files\*kml for reading" or "Could not open Settings\*kml for reading" or "Could not open C\*kml for reading". GE simply ignores the part of the file name before the last space.

To further confirm this fact, I change the name to \ProgramFiles\ , \DocumentandSettings\ or \ABC\ and the problem disappears.

All the above are reproducible after closing and restarting Windows.

Therefore, it seems there is a bug in (the newer versions) of GE and there is nothing wrong with TTQV.

Obviously, I can't simply rename \Program Files\ to \ProgramFiles\ because this would affect the many other programs that I have installed.

Any suggestions to get over this?

I am wondering if there are anybody having the same problem, and whether this problem is limited to the English version of WinXP. I presume you are using the German version of Windows.

Regards,

rhklee.