New User - Keeps stopping with Error.

• I have just downloaded 7.0.1.39 and installed onto a Dell Vostro 3750 running W7 Home Premium 64bit SP1.

Yesterday, after a quick use of an on-line map , my first task was to import a new map. I chose a .png image from my extensive OziExplorer map collection and calibrated it with two corners. I eventually found that this had produced three 'calibration' files - mapname.prj, mapname.gcp and mapname.calx.

Unfortunately, I chose a map whose coverage area I had no track or waypoint data. So today, I made three maps centred on where I live in the UK, so that I could use an existing .gpx file containing tracks and waypoints. These maps were made with Mobac which produced only one calibration file - mapname_png.cal - per map image.

I loaded four maps and attempted to load a .gpx file, which caused an error. I started again with only one map and then loaded a .gpx file, but the data did not display. Then the program crashed again.

So maps display but I can not display data on them.

I was hoping to be able to evaluate QV7 by using the Simulation feature and following a track as it moved from map to map (at different scales).

My skill levels with GPSrs and digital maps goes back over 18 years, but I'm new to QV.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Landyman130 ()

• Hi,

Zitat

So maps display but I can not display data on them....

therefore my guess is, that the calibration of your map files created manually or by mobac
    are not created properly/do not fit QV and thus create the problem.

Open your maps, activate the grid display and see, if the units given realy fit
    to the calibrated area.

To display your data, why don´t you first open one of the QV7 integrated online
    maps and display your data there?

Additionally, there is a 1:250K scale map of GB for free use in case you need
    an offline map:
    http://www.quovadis-gps.de/download-maps

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• therefore my guess is, that the calibration of your map files created manually or by mobac
    are not created properly/do not fit QV and thus create the problem.

Open your maps, activate the grid display and see, if the units given realy fit
    to the calibrated area.

The grid indicates a close or good calibration.

However the problem is that having imported the .gpx tracks, I then needed to display them. I had expected them to display on loading. I am still reading through the wiki, but guess that data is managed withing QV and not in files within folders. So QV can hold the data and is then displayed as required.

The tracks display exactly where expected so the calibration is good.

It's a slow process learning QV as it keeps crashing. After getting a track displayed on one map, I opened a second map and while displaying the same track file crashed with an out of memory error. This suggests that error correcting is missing.

Zitat

Additionally, there is a 1:250K scale map of GB for free use in case you need
    an offline map:
    http://www.quovadis-gps.de/download-maps

Thanks for that now downloaded, but not yet installed.

Many thanks for your help.

• It's a slow process learning QV as it keeps crashing

Hello Reg,
    what Do you do before the Crash? Is there any error message?

If you use MOBAC Maps that causes the Crash: Could you tell us in which Format they are and how many Pixels x Pixels they have?

Beside this: If you are an extensive Ozi-User and now want to try QV: Do you know the OziMapConverter? The Programm converts the Ozi-Calibration-File to a TTQV Calibration, which can be read by QV7:
    http://ozimapconverter.narod.ru/index_en.html

Greetings
    Denis

• Zitat

what Do you do before the Crash? Is there any error message?

I was loading (displaying) another map or loading (displaying) a track file. Errors were just that 'QV7 has stopped working' or 'OutOfMemoryException' errors.

Zitat

If you use MOBAC Maps that causes the Crash: Could you tell us in which Format they are and how many Pixels x Pixels they have?

The standard Mobac QV format. 'mapname (zoom).png' plus 'mapname (zoom)_png.cal'. Zoom is 15, 16 or 18 with these small area example maps I made. The largest .png file is 350,582 KB.

The .png file that I imported and calibrated myself in QV7 is 206,943 KB.

These are all small compared to my OziEx .ozfx3 map image files which are over 2 GB. However, .ozfx3 files are only part loaded into OziEx, like .tif images that allows paging from disk.

Zitat

Beside this: If you are an extensive Ozi-User and now want to try QV: Do you know the OziMapConverter? The Programm converts the Ozi-Calibration-File to a TTQV Calibration, which can be read by QV7:
    http://ozimapconverter.narod.ru/index_en.html

I have found that, but thought it would not work with QV7.

What is a maximum for QV7 map image file size?

I have now re-installed QV7 and done nothing other that a Microsoft regular update, including MSE. So far it's not crashed.

Having spent more time reading the wiki, I am discovering useful features not found on OziEx.

Many thanks for your help.

• I have learnt much more about QV7 as my free use 25 days is now about to end. I intend to purchase QV7 with the vectorial navigation maps when the new version of maps becomes available.

I found the French IGN set of 5 maps useful in learning how to display multiple maps.

They are a recent update (having used the previous version in OziEx) of the SCAN 1000® edition January 2014 - France Metropolitan: TIFF, Lambert-93 projection.

The file:-

SC1000_TIFF_LAMB93_FRANCE_2014-01-01.7z

is free to all here:-

<http://professionnels.ign.fr/scan1000>

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Landyman130 ()