Errors importing/calibrating maps of Norway

• After registering on the website at http://data.kartverket.no/download/ it is possible to download topo maps at 250K and 50K.

I first downloaded the 50K set and found errors in two columns of maps. (Here a column is adjacent maps in a north/south direction.)

One column errors on import and the other column calibrates, but will not display when selected in Xplorer.

All of the maps are UTM 33 and cover the whole of Norway. Norway is in UTM Zones 31, 32, 33, 34 & 35. Zones are 6° of longitude width and latitude bands are used to split zones from north to south.

However, on the southwest coast of Norway grid zone 32V is extended further west by 3° of longitude. So Zone 31V actually covers only sea and Norway is therefore technically not in Zone 31.

The two columns align with this exception to the zone grid. This suggests that the .tfw file for those columns are incorrect or QV 7's algorithm is wrong. Or one ignores this zone exception, while the other does use it.

To ascertain where the discrepancy is, I imported the whole map set into my old program, OziExplorer, and all maps import correctly.

I know that the calibration in QV 7 is correct for all the other maps, as I am using QV's 'Here 2014' as an overlay.

I then downloaded the 250K set and have a similar problem in QV 7, but not in OziEx.

Has any one else seen this problem?

• Has any one else seen this problem?

QV's UTM handling is quite restrictive, to work around it you would have to specifiy an extended UTM zone 33 in the Grids & Datums section of QV's X-plorer.

For Kartverket another way will be easier. Kartverket provide most of their raster data as MrSID files also, this format includes internal calibration, and QV7 can read it. So, instead of struggling with the world files I would suggest you give Kartverket's MrSID files a try.

Grüße
    Hans

"The universal aptitude for inaptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." (John Paul Stapp)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Polarlys ()

• For Kartverket another way will be easier. Kartverket provide most of their raster data as MrSID files also, this format includes internal calibration, and QV7 can read it. So, instead of struggling with the world files I would suggest you give Kartverket's MrSID files a try.

Thanks Hans. I first started to download the MrSID files, but in QV7 I saw large areas of black around the map. I can not remember if this was before or after I upgraded to version 7.1.0.28. I see there is a new version available today.

I then used the UTM 33 maps and the black areas problem disappeared.

• I then used the UTM 33 maps and the black areas problem disappeared.

The MrSID files are UTM maps.

The MrSID files have a transparency channel which is used for the background between the actual map area and the rectangular file frame, QV's black background will appear in these transparent areas. I would prefer white here as well, but I don't know how to change it.

Grüße
    Hans

"The universal aptitude for inaptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." (John Paul Stapp)

• Thanks again Hans.

QV 7.1.0.28 hung shortly after displaying a new MrSID map. I have not had QV hang for sometime now, but was frequent at one time - possibly while displaying MrSID maps. Probably no connection.