Location of QV7 files

• I started using QV7 Poweruser with HERE 2014, in 2014 on a laptop with a HDD. In 2015, I added Germany Top25. In 2016 I updated to HERE 2016. I also downloaded from the QV website some of the free maps. I was able to select the folder for all of these large maps. That laptop runs Windows 7 Pro.

I now have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro, with a smaller SSD and installed QV7 a few months ago, but did not install any of my maps. I have just started to install my maps but before doing this decided to change the folders that QV7 uses in C:\Users\Public\Documents\.

I am doing this now as I want to purchase QV-X on this laptop.

I always call the Users folders the "Windows Back Hole" - files generally get dumped there and frequently get lost as there is no logical structural order!

I decided to use the advice found here:-

< http://wikiqv7.qvgps.de/doku.php?id=en:10_install:e_datapath>

I used Regedit to change the folders. I t hen used CCleaner to check the registry, only to find that an isolated entry for uninstalling Srtm30.

SSDs are usually much smaller than HDDs, so I setup a map folder for QV7 maps and downloaded " ArcGIS_World_Topo_Map" and one other. Then " Benelux-M". Both types of map are downloaded into the 'User' replacement folder on Drive C :. I had expected to be able to hold these maps in a folder on another drive, as C: was becoming full.

Is there a method of have large map files in folders of my own selection and not on C:?

I also have an error downloading / installing 'Benelux-M'. See error information attached.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Landyman130 ()

• Is there a method of have large map files in folders of my own selection and not on C:?

If the download of the maps only works on the standard folder on c: (C:\Users\Public\Documents\QV7_Data\Packages), than simply move the folder with the maps in the Windows Explorer to the wished folder on an other drive.

Now you have to edit the QV-Databases with the correkt Link to the new path - or delete the old entry and import the map from the new folder again.

Yes, this is not as comfortable as only to download the map, but so you have the chance to free your space on c:

Greetings

Denis

• Yes, this is not as comfortable as only to download the map, but so you have the chance to free your space on c:

Thank you for your reply. After posting the above, I also sent to info@... adding that a future update could be to use an .INI file to hold the folders used.

I received a very swift reply with good information that included that in QVX, 'qvx_data_user.ini' does what I suggested. Therefore hopefully later with QVX, I will be able to stop using QV7.

I decided to uninstall QV7 and start again with a new installation, followed by registering all of my purchased maps.

Then I installed QVX demo. I had a few minor errors, but restarting QVX and a few re-boots have now got QVX working, but without my purchased maps. I guess that I will be able to do this once purchased.

Alan.