Rebelious DEM

• I imported several 90m DEM maps for Africa (now available on internet).
    With two of them I get excellent track coverage. With the last at the end of the computation of the triangles there remains just the blue background screen, all traces have gone.

I noted that the computation of the triangles shows progress sometimes in black, sometimes in red. What is the significance of that color?

Anyway I managed to get another to fail (there is no hgt file available for that track) and the distinctive point is that the stat min (res) shows a res of 0 (zero) for those that fail.

What could be the source?

Thanks

• Hi,

Zitat von "PRL"

I imported several 90m DEM maps for Africa (now available on internet).
    With two of them I get excellent track coverage. With the last at the end of the computation of the triangles there remains just the blue background screen, all traces have gone.

As long as you do not tell me the location/name of that DEM, I will hardly be ablet to check.

Zitat

I noted that the computation of the triangles shows progress sometimes in black, sometimes in red. What is the significance of that color?

If the result is in red, you try to compute in a higher resolution then the DEM-file basically can offer.

Zitat

Anyway I managed to get another to fail (there is no hgt file available for that track) and the distinctive point is that the stat min (res) shows a res of 0 (zero) for those that fail.

..to fail... doing what ?
    Not to run out of elevation information, I have always installed the srtm30
    set of the respective region, so TTQV can switch.

I run about 6000 SRTM3 files Europe/Asia from a single folder
    simultaneously, backed by the respective srtm30. No problems so far.
    However, I certainly did not touch every single srtm3 file :-)

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• 1, found the reason the coordinates were West (first time I have a track west of Greenwhich). I found as well that since it is the SW corner of the file that counts, if the file has W6° 31' coordinates, then one needs to take the file N31 W7 (I took 6 the first time). The DEM files are those HGT files which you point out to in another msg. Africa is now loaded.

2, when I said "fail" I meant it failed like the other, i.e. just get a blue screen

3 Separately, can it be possible to change the range of color so that when one exagerate the altitude one can also exagerate the color range and magnify the effect?

4, I could not get the Waypoints to show up on the 3D, just the Track. Is there a way to make :prost: it happen?

Tx for all, I am really, really pleased with the result in 90m.
    The only glitch (the file in the West) is that the data was captured in Feb 2000 and therefore the snow cover on the Atlas at that time of the year makes for erroneous data. Actually, the results one gets are far more attractive than the example shown in the Help file.

• Zitat von "PRL"

....Separately, can it be possible to change the range of color so that when one exagerate the altitude one can also exagerate the color range and magnify the effect?

Pardon, what are you talking about? 3D or Trackcolor ?

Zitat

4, I could not get the Waypoints to show up on the 3D, just the Track. Is there a way to make :prost: it happen?

If you display the waypoints on a map or Sat-Pic, then overlay this to the
    3D, then you will see the waypoint "printed" there. There os no way to
    show WPs separately like you can do it with a Track.

Zitat

Tx for all, I am really, really pleased with the result in 90m.
    The only glitch (the file in the West) is that the data was captured in Feb 2000 and therefore the snow cover on the Atlas at that time of the year makes for erroneous data. ....

Add the SRTM30, these glitches will look much better then.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• I meant changing the range of colors on the 3D diagram, THe altitude I know how to.
    Thanks, Pierre

• Zitat von "PRL"

I meant changing the range of colors on the 3D diagram, THe altitude I know how to.
    Thanks, Pierre

Hi,
    understood now. No there is no way now to do that manually.
    But if I see it right, these color values are always adapted to the
    min/max elevation to be shown, so the entire color range is used?
    Don´t you see it that way ?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Nope!
    On the Himalaya it goes up from green through yellow and red to white. In the Atlas it moves only from red to white. I can send you the jpg if you want and the trk file.
    Pierre

By the way the addition of SRTM30 to SRTM3did a lot of good to theAtlas but verylittle to Himalaya; I suspect that between snow,ice, and steepness there is too much tocure.
    Thanks,
    Pierre

• Zitat von "PRL"

Nope!
    On the Himalaya it goes up from green through yellow and red to white. In the Atlas it moves only from red to white. I can send you the jpg if you want and the trk file.

Hi,
    nix "nope", yes! :-)
    Probably there is somewhere in the respective area a very little "wrong low
    elevation number", which causes the entire spectrum to be spread that way.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Actuallty, yes, in the Atlas on the 3D there are a lot of drapes of white that fall through the floor like going into a sea trench.

If I knew how to go into these elevation files I would replace all these false points by the lowest elevation I know from the track.

I tried to read a hgt file in HEX. Looks like there are elevations, but separated by control codes I do not know what to do with. Do you have any idea how to get into these files?

Thanks,

Pierre

• Zitat von "PRL"

..... in the Atlas on the 3D there are a lot of drapes of white that fall through the floor like going into a sea trench. .....

You should not see them if you have the respective SRTM30 installed additionally and active ?

Zitat

If I knew how to go into these elevation files I would replace all these false points by the lowest elevation I know from the track.

Sorry, I never tried that. But probably there are explanations about the
    structure available from the origin location.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Zitat

You should not see them if you have the respective SRTM30 installed additionally and active ?

I think I had both since there was a marked difference since I added SRTM30. How could a file that has a datapoint every 900 meters plug in data missing in a grid of 30 meters? Or is TTQV averaging with the help of the two files (SRTM3 and 30) to plug in any missing points? But then why the drapes?

• Zitat von "PRL"

Or is TTQV averaging with the help of the two files (SRTM3 and 30) to plug in any missing points?

Hi,
    if a value is missing in SRTM3, TTQV3 retrieves the value from the next better
    DEM (SRTM30).

Zitat

But then why the drapes?

I do not know, whether you installed and activated the DEMs the right way,
    - all srtm3 in one folder, then import only one of them, TTQV registers them all
    - all srtm30 in one folder, then import every single srtm30
    If you add srtm3 files to the srtm3 folder, delete the registration in QV-Xplorer, DEMs, reregister one SRTM3.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Zitat

- all srtm3 in one folder, then import only one of them, TTQV registers them all
    - all srtm30 in one folder, then import every single srtm30

To be honest I imported the very first files in different folders,
    BUT
    -the Atlas SRTM3 I imported as indicated
    -the Africa SRTM30 imported as indicated
    These two are in different folders and these two folders are different from any of the others.
    Not good practice to have everything scattered, right! I will clean, but this should not impact the current question? Oder?

• Zitat von "PRL"

....Not good practice to have everything scattered, right! I will clean, but this should not impact the current question? Oder?

Hi,
    fix it, then let´s see.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Just forgot to unzip both HDR and DEM files. As a result the map was not imported Should have seen it under description, but it is only after a successful first import of a srtm30 that one sees how the name displays in that window.

Certainly looks better now.

Thks,

Pierre

• Zitat von "PRL"

.....Just forgot to unzip both HDR and DEM files....

Autsch!!! :-)

Glad it is finally working !

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)