Beiträge von rhklee

Hi,

I don't know why. I'm using XP SP3 English version.

Since it seems not many people are having the problem that I have, could it be due to some settings in GE or XP that I have inadvertently set? A re-installation of an older version of GE on the same Windows XP with the same configuration definitely works.

I am going to install TTQV and GE on the other computer that I have and see whether the error is reproducible or not.

rhklee

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of experiments in the past few hours, copying *.kml files to various folders and clicking on them under Explorer. I find that the problem is not limited to the \Program Files\TTQV4\tmp folder.

I think I have found out the answer now. Whenever there is one or more space in the file or folder name, eg. \Program Files\ or \Document and Settings\ or even \A B C\, GE cannot recognize the full path names. So GE will report respectively with the message "Could not open Files\*kml for reading" or "Could not open Settings\*kml for reading" or "Could not open C\*kml for reading". GE simply ignores the part of the file name before the last space.

To further confirm this fact, I change the name to \ProgramFiles\ , \DocumentandSettings\ or \ABC\ and the problem disappears.

All the above are reproducible after closing and restarting Windows.

Therefore, it seems there is a bug in (the newer versions) of GE and there is nothing wrong with TTQV.

Obviously, I can't simply rename \Program Files\ to \ProgramFiles\ because this would affect the many other programs that I have installed.

Any suggestions to get over this?

I am wondering if there are anybody having the same problem, and whether this problem is limited to the English version of WinXP. I presume you are using the German version of Windows.

Regards,

rhklee.

Hi,

All 3 situations show similar results:

1. The GE opens without problem and there is no "Access Denied" message.
    2. While the GE is zooming in on the world globe image, it hangs up and displaying the following message respectively:
    "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_cursor.kml for reading"
    "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading"
    "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_marks.kml for reading".

Here is a summary of the significant results so far :
    1. If I go to the \program files\TTQV4\tmp folder and click on these qv_~.kml files, the result is exactly the same. That is, the GE opens, then hang up and display the above messages.

2. But if I open the files with GE's own menu Files-Open, the corresponding maps, cursor and marks are displayed correctly without any hitch.

3. If I click on any other .kml files (my own tracks history and not the qv_*.kml files) in other drives or folders under Windows Explorer, the GE opens and the tracks are displayed flawlessly.

Then come this strange result:
    4. If I copy these .kml files (my own tracks history) to the \Programe Files\TTQV4\tmp folder and click on these files under Explorer, GE opens but hangs up and display the message "Could not open file .........kml for reading"!! That means the TTQV4\tmp folder has something very special with respect to GE!

Could anybody shed light on this and hopefully solve the problem?

Regards,

rhklee

Hi,

I think this information may help : If I double click other .kml files in MS Explorer, there is no problem at all. I have GPS tracks saved as .kml files and they are displayed correctly when double-clicked. The problem only applies to the TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml file, either double-clicked thr' MS-Explorer or activated in GE via TTQV4.

It seems that it is not a pure file-association problem.

It is reassuring that there is no "Access Denied" problem anymore.

rhklee

Hi

Same message of "Could not open file File\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading" if I open it with MS-Explorer. But, if I open it directly with GE's menu File/Open, then the map detail is displayed correctly.

rhklee.

Dear jockel,

You are right! There is no "Access Denied" problem once I register the .kml and .kmz file types to GE.

We are getting very near to solving the problem completely except for this one final hurdle. The GE opens, but it gets stuck with the following message : "Could not open file Files\TTQV4\tmp\qv_mapdetail.kml for reading". However, if I open the qv_mapdetail.kml file directly with GE's menu file-open, the map is displayed correctly in GE.

Any help on this?

Thanks.

Regards,

rhklee

Hi

I have tried disabling the firewall, turning off internet security options and shutting down antivirus programs, but the "Access Denied" problem persists.

Finally, I reinstall an older version of Google Earth (4.1.7087.5048), and the problem disappears! All three options, center, display map, display marks works again!

I then reinstall the newest version of GE (4.3.7284.3916) back again and the problem of "Access Denied" re-appears.

It seems the whole issue is not to be a local rights problem, but an incompatibility between the newer version of GE with TTQV.

Any suggestion to get around this problem is appreciated.

Best regards,

rhklee.

Dear jockel,

I'm using the WinXp-SP3, English versions.

Actually, TTQV and GE have been working flawlessly together a few months ago. This "Access Denied" problem only surfaces recently. Same computer and same WinXp.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

rhklee

Dear Holger,

Thanks for your reply.

The link that you provide is very helpful. It refers to the problem of importing a map from Google Map. I have used it to solve the screen capture problem a few days ago. However, it does not solve the "Access Denied" problem. So further help is appreciated.

For your information, I am using the latest version of TTQV and GE, which are 4.0.110 and 4.3.7284.3916 (beta) respectively.

Best regards,

rhklee

Hi,

When I try to use the Options/GoogleEarth/Show current mapdetail or Center QV mapcursor, I get the message "Access Denied".

I have searched the forum for answers, but all the posts are in German.

I would appreciate if anybody can help me out on this.

Thanks.

rhklee

Hi,

I wonder whether we can rotate maps in TTQV while we are doing GPS tracking. That is, instead of the usual north side up, can we orientate our maps south, east or west side up? This is very useful when we are driving south.

If this is not available in TTQV, I think it would be a good idea to include it as an option in future versions. This option is available in PathAway4 for quite a while, so I think programming this into TTQV should not be too difficult.

Of course, we can choose the option "Rotate map with course towards the top" in the GPS Online mode. However, I find this option puts a very great demand on the processing power of laptops. I have tried this option on several laptops including the newer ones. All shows significant time lags in updating the GPS position and the graphic screen. This poses great problems for me when I am using TTQV for driving navigation.

rhklee

Dear jockel,

I solve the problem! Although I don't know why it works. I get the idea from the fact that I can never install TTQV4 on Chinese version of Windows XP.

Here's what I've done:
    I change the setting of the language version of the non-Unicode program in the Advanced tab of the Regional and Language Options in the Control Panel from Chinese to English.

TTQV4 accepts my entry of Licence information now!

Could you explain why this works?

Many thanks!

rhklee

Dear jockel,

The version that I am using is the latest, which is 4.0.87.

I have done re-installation several times before and there have been no problems until now.

I have checked and re-checked what I have entered. I am sure that there is no errors on my part.

rhklee

Hi,

I have been using TTQV4 all along without any problems. Howver, my hard disk died a few days ago, and I have to reinstall the TTQV4 on my new hard disk. I enter the licence code as before and the program indicates that the licence codes are ok.

However, when I restart the program which is required to complete the installation, the program informs me that the trial period has expired and request me to enter the licence codes again. When I re-enter the data again, it gets stuck in the address field and I cannot type in any data anymore. I try DEMO, but the program tells me again that the test period has expired.

I have done several re-installations before on this same computer and I am sure I have never encounter any similar problem.

Could anybody help me out on this?

Many thanks!

rhklee

Dear Jockel,

As a follow up to my last email, I have tried a third GPS that I have. It is by Deluo and connects directly through the USB or COM port instead of BT.

Now, the tracking in Journey mode is instantaneous and realtime. Therefore, the problem probably lies in the bluetooth connection. I shall look in further and see how to resolve it.

One more question : despite using the Deluo GPS, the problem of slow tracking appears again when the option of "Rotate map to course up" is on.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Sincerely,

rhklee

Dear jockel

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'm using the latest version, which is 3.0.131.

The 2 GPSs I have been using are GPSmart by Fortuna and Bluetooth GPS308 by GlobalSat. The connection is via Bluetooth with a BT dongle attached to the USB port on the laptop. I have been using the 2 BT GPSs with a Tungsten 3 and PathAway3 without any problems at all. The tracking in the Palm is realtime and screen update is instantaneous. The baudrate is 38400 and stopbit is 1.

By the way, I have used the programs Trackmaker and GPSUtil before, using a similar configuration with bluetooth. There is no problem with tracking realtime.

The map is a 3.5Mb bmp scanned map. It's 2240 x 1600 pixels. Colour depth 8 bits and 256 colours.

The laptop is an IBM X41, 1.5 GHz, Win XP pro, 1.2G RAM. Display has 96MB memory. HD is 40GB with 3-4 GB free space.

Grateful for any further advice.

Best regard,

rhklee.

Dear all,

Please excuxe me if this has been asked before, as I am a new user of TTQV3.0.

My question is this : Is it possible to show my position on the map realtime ?

I find that when I am in the Journey mode (ie. F4 and F5 On), the program takes maybe half a minute or so to update the position. It means that when my vehicle is at a particular position, the program is showing a point which is about half a kilometer behind, although it is still busy updating the position continuously. This is not good for realtime in-car navigation.

Am I missing something in the setting of the program?

Many thanks !

rhklee