Windows ME and Garmin 12XL

• Hello,

I cannot establish a connection between my garmin and TTQV3.0.59 under the Garmin-garmin protocol. I can establish a connection under NMEA, but there are restrictions to upload / download of data.

Nothing else seems to be using the com port.

Any ideas?
    Anhad

• Hi,

- try to recheck using an other cable
    - is it a direct connection "GPS-1cable-Notebook"?
    or is USB converter, a switch, or adapter involved in any way ?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Hello,

It is a direct connection Garmin-cable-notebook. The cable seems to be OK as It works fine for my desktop, under win98.

Anhad

• Zitat von "An Had"

Hello,
    It is a direct connection Garmin-cable-notebook. The cable seems to be OK as It works fine for my desktop, under win98.
    Anhad

Hi,
    - anyway, try to recheck using an other cable
    - did the same combination work on this PC before, (TTQV3/cable/GPS12) ?
    - what is the error message you get ?

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Hello Jo,

I have rechecked the cable - it is fine.

I have used the notebook with an old version of TTQV - I had it deinstalled before I installed the TTQV3, so I cannot go run the old program now.

The error message is "No response from Garmin on Com1 with 9600baud. Please check cable and settings, turn the garmin on/off try again"

The Com1 port is correct - this is evident from the fact that the GPS goes online if I use the NMEA protocol. I turned the GPS on / off - nothing happened. (The GPS interface is set to grmn/grmn protocol, as "HOST" - this is the same settings I use for the desktop where it works fine - so the settings on the GPS and the cable are fine.)

Is there any port malfunction which would result in the port working for NMEA and not for garmin/garmin?

Any other ideas?
    Thank you
    An Had

• Zitat von "An had"

Is there any port malfunction which would result in the port working for NMEA and not for garmin/garmin? ....

Hi Anhad,
    the requirement to the cable using NMEA are different, compared to Garmin/Garmin.
    Even if it works using NMEA, even if it works Garmin/Garmin with an other
    software, please check again using another cable, if available, use a cable of
    another "make" (looking different)
    I know this sounds stupid, anyway, please give it a try.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hello Jo,

Nothing is stupid as far as computers are concerned !!!

I have re-tried with 3 different cables - 1 factory made data/power cable and two "home brewed" pfrank data only cables. All work fine with my other computer. I do not have access to any other cables!

Still no luck. The results are the same as before.

I can see two possibilities:
    1. The serial port of the computer is kaput (is there any software I can use to test this?)

2. There's something wrong with TTQV and Win ME.

Regards
    Anhad

• Hi Anhad,

Zitat von "An Had"

Nothing is stupid as far as computers are concerned !!!

Indeed, obviously you are a PC-Pro as you know the basic rule :-)

Zitat

...is there any software I can use to test this?...

certainly, give it a try: http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

Maybe also use the latest develop release of TTQV 3.0.70
    which is here: http://www.ttqv2.de/files9/qv3upd_70.exe

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hello Jo,

It is now official - my serial port is kaput :cry: .

There was nothing wrong with TTQV after all :oops:

Regards
    Anhad

• Zitat von "Anhad"

Hello Jo,
    It is now official - my serial port is kaput :cry: .
    There was nothing wrong with TTQV after all :oops:
    Regards
    Anhad

Hi Anhad,
    I am sorry for your serial-port, but this is definitely the explanation I like most :-)

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Hello Jo,

I knew you would like my previous comment!!

I solved the problem with a simple USB-to-Serial defvice, the size of a match-box, bought for around 30Euro. It even allows communication with speeds up to 115000 if your model allows it!!!

I thought you should know, since it appears that the serial ports are going the way of the dinosaurs. Some newer portables are now shipping without serial ports.

Anhad