• Hi,

although there is no TTQV4 release officially ment to work with Win Vista,
    according to user reports TTQV4 works fine. During installation there is on
    error message, reading like:

C:\windows\system32\msxml.dll
      Unable to register the DLL/OCX: Loadlibrary failed; code 1114
      A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

...which you might simply pass by, clicking the button "ignore"

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Hi,

I would rather consider skipping Vista, just google for "cost of vista" ;-)

Grüße
    Hans

"The universal aptitude for inaptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." (John Paul Stapp)

• Hi,

Zitat von "rhklee"

...I would consider upgrading my laptop to Vista then....

Why should you consider that? If you do, you are switching form a relatively
    stable and quick winXP to some superfluous, slow and uselessly gimmick
    bloated intermediate Windows release.
    WinVista is for winXP, what winME was for win98. Nobody realy needed it!

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)
    Angefragte Daten für Supportfälle bitte schicken an info/at/quovadis-gps.com unter Bezugnahme (link) auf diesen thread, Danke!

• Hi,

Thank you all for your advice. It makes sense that it is not a good idea to upgrade from XP to Vista.

Perhaps I have not made my situaton clear. I am also considering buying a new laptop. The problem is that most of them have Vista pre-loaded. I can downgrade the operating system to WinXP after the purchase, but it introduces other issues like getting updated XP drivers for the new laptop hardware.

Regards

rhklee

• Hi,

Zitat von "rhklee"

....I can downgrade the operating system to WinXP after the purchase, but it introduces other issues like getting updated XP drivers for the new laptop hardware...

This is definitely not realy an issue! There is no hardware, where no proper
    XP drivers are available. The worst case is, that some of the bigger vendors
    due to mystic relations to microsoft claim to have no XP drivers specially
    for consumer grade devices. But they exist! No device ment for business
    use comes with Vista drivers only. i. e. Samsung, MSI, DELL, HP, still offer
    XP equipped devices, respectively XP downgrades. The required drivers
    exist for all. You have to insist on it, respectively select your device
    accordingly.

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)

• Zitat von "rhklee"

It's reassuring to hear this.

Hi! Just a word of caution from an employee of one of the vendors mentioned by Jockel - by far not all models come with XP and are supported using it. If you are buying from HP make sure you choose one of the business models (not home use) and check if an XP license is included before you buy. Only those really have all the drivers for sure.

• Dear Holger Issle,

Thank you for your advice. I am contemplating buying a laptop from IBM/Lenovo. I would better check with them first about XP drivers before I commit myself to the purchase.

rhklee

• Hi rhklee,

while personally I am feeling sad about you buying from our competition you are abolutely right to get the drivers before purchasing - especially the special ones for the laptop specific hardware (e.g. the "nice" encryption chip in leveno systems, useable only to lock you out of your software if MS likes to do so).

• Hi,

Zitat von "Holger Issle"

...you are abolutely right to get the drivers before purchasing - especially the special ones for the laptop specific hardware (e.g. the "nice" encryption chip in leveno systems, useable only to lock you out of your software if MS likes to do so)....

If I remember right, you can simply disable this "feature" in bios. Beside that
    you get XP drivers, specially form IBM/Lenovo without a problem. This is
    true for HP devices also, although HP realy shows a lot of efforts to kind of
    hide them. But they exist for download for all required devices!
    rhklee
    Beside that, whatever of these bussiness class vendors devices you get:
    I usually remove the entire preinstalled, bloated to painful slowness OS,
    start from scratch, leave away all these useless gadgets like vendor
    proprietary tools, fingerprint scanners...and alike and you usually get a
    realy quick working NB!

Good luck ;-)

Gruß Jockel (QV-Admin)