TTQV7 crashes when using x-y plot

• Hi,

I've been using TTQV 7 under Windows 7 with no problem all along. However, since upgrading to newer revisions, I've been experiencing frequent crashes when I use the x-y plot function. I have to keep reverting back to the 7.0.1.23 version. The crashes occur for every new versions after 7.0.1.23, including the latest 7.0.1.31 and 7.0.1.39. The only stable version is 7.0.1.23.

The pop-up window include the following information:
    Fault module name : MTV3D65.dll
    Exception code : C0000005
    Exception offset : 000b0bc2

Any advice is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ray LEE

• Hi Ray,
    does it crash in the post .23 versions always when using the xy-plot or for particular tracks?

What you could do is renaming the qv7.ini file to see if the crashes will be gone, but in case it fixes it you have to re-apply your personal preferences which are stored in the ini file and would be lost.

If there were changes from .23 which may be the reason for these instabilities can only be answered by Tom from his changelog.

Gruß
    Dietmar

• Hi Dietmar,

I still can't figure out which particular tracks can cause the crash. It is not always, but once a crash occur, it will occur frequently afterwards. It seems that crashes occur more often when the x-axis is "s" than when it is "t".

Renaming qv7.ini does not cure the crash. After the crash, I would have to re-start the program, use a track that works, choose the "t" as the x-axis, and the program will work again until it may crash later on when a particular track is used.

One thing is certain: there is never any crash in using the x-y plot when reverting back to 7.0.1.23, even when a particular offending track is used again.

• Hi Ray,
    would you please upload a track where it crashes reproducable? - maybe Tom could use it for tracking down what the cause is and debugging the issue. There could be a change from after version .23 which causes the crash or a sideeffect.

As the renaming of the qv7.ini did not change anything you could rename it back to keep your old settings - thx for testing it.

Gruß
    Dietmar

• Hi Dietmar,

This is a gpx file which causes reproducible crashes in 7.0.1.31 but not in 7.0.1.23. Please note that it may or may not cause a crash initially, but sooner or later, it will.

Many thanks!

Ray LEE

Dateien

• Hi Ray,

I did a little mod (erased just one character) on your GPX file, could you please test this modified version and report if it still crashes?

Dateien

Grüße
    Hans

"The universal aptitude for inaptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." (John Paul Stapp)

• Hi Polarlys

Thanks for your reply.

Things've got a bit complicated. Initially, the modified file still causes crashes on using the x-y plot. Renaming the qv7.ini file doesn't help.

However, with the qv7.ini file still renamed, I re-import the modified file again. Now, it will not crash the program on using the x-y plot.

I'll keep you updated if I've further information.

Best Regards,

Ray LEE

• Hi,

To give an update on my testing: Reverting my system to my original setting by re-naming the qu7.ini makes no difference to the result. That is: your modified file imported under my original qv7.ini will crash the system while the same modified file re-imported under a re-named qv7.ini will not cause any crash.

I don't know whether this is relevant or not.

Ray LEE

• Hi,

Any update on the clue of the crash? Any patch or newer version for it?

I'm still stuck with the 7.0.1.23 version. As such, I cannot use the Google Satellite map.

Ray LEE

• Good morning Ray,
    I think you should update to the current version 7.0.1.39. Maybe the reported problem is already solved.

Greetings
    Werner

Grüße
    Werner

Fenix 6X Pro, GPSMap 66s, 60CSx, Trail 2, Aventura 2, Horizon, Motorola One, GoPro Hero 7 Black
    QVX PU, QV7 PU, TTQV 4 PU, CGPSL 8, Locus Map Pro

Prof. Richard S. Lindzen:
    [..] It will be remembered as the greatest mass delusion in the history of the world - that CO2, the life of plants, was considered for a time to be a deadly poison.
    Wikipedia

• I'm still stuck with the 7.0.1.23 version.

Hi Ray,

There have been a lot of fixes and improvements since 7.0.1.23, we're all on 7.0.1.39 currently. Please do a clean re-install of 7.0.1.39:

1. Make a backup copy of your current QV installation directory
    2. Delete the content of your current QV installation directory
    3. Install 7.0.1.39

Please report if it still crashes, if so please save the ini file and the debug file and send them to info/at/quovadis-gps.com referring to this thread.

Grüße
    Hans

"The universal aptitude for inaptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." (John Paul Stapp)

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have done a complete clean reinstall from TTQV5, then upgrade to TTQV7 7.0.1.39. The use of the x-y plots function on some tracks still crashes the system. Some tracks consistently cause crashes while some other tracks don't. It seems that newer imported tracks cause more crashes while older tracks imported a few years ago tend not to cause crashes. One strange thing is that the exactly same tracks imported at different times behave differently. One will crash the system consistently while the other does not. I have included the same two tracks in the attached TempA.qv5db & TempB.qv5db files, and the .ini & debug file for your reference.

Ray LEE

Dateien

• TempA.qv5db.zip

(160,31 kB, 372 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • TempB.qv5db.zip

(160,32 kB, 356 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • qv7.ini.zip

(9,72 kB, 368 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • tv3d_debug.txt.zip

(1,34 kB, 360 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
  • clean reinstall from TTQV5, then upgrade to TTQV7 7.0.1.39.

Sorry,

but this is not what I asked you for. TTQV5 is stone-dead, please do install QV 7.0.1.39 directly, without installing any previous version before.

Along with the tv3d_debug.txt there should also be a qv7_debug_[date]_[time].txt in case of a crash, could you please post that too?

Grüße
    Hans

• Hi,

There is a big price difference between the QV7 Upgrade version and the full version. I presume that I have to install the QV7 on top of the QV5 version. Do you mean that I can install the QV7 directly? Will the serial numbers of the purchased maps for QV5 still work?

Concerning the qv7_debug_[date]_[time].txt, I think I have seen this type of files before, but somehow I cannot find them now. Where can I find this file?

Best Regards,

Ray LEE

• Hi,

I attach a Visual C++ debug file after a crash. I don't know whether it will help or not.

Ray LEE

Dateien

• qv70.opt.zip

(1,68 kB, 370 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
  • Good morning Ray,
    you can - and must - install QV7 without having installed TTQV5 before. Try it.

Greetings
    Werner

Grüße
    Werner

Fenix 6X Pro, GPSMap 66s, 60CSx, Trail 2, Aventura 2, Horizon, Motorola One, GoPro Hero 7 Black
    QVX PU, QV7 PU, TTQV 4 PU, CGPSL 8, Locus Map Pro

Prof. Richard S. Lindzen:
    [..] It will be remembered as the greatest mass delusion in the history of the world - that CO2, the life of plants, was considered for a time to be a deadly poison.
    Wikipedia

• Hi Ray,

I presume that I have to install the QV7 on top of the QV5 version.

No, that's wrong.

Do you mean that I can install the QV7 directly?

Yes:

please do install QV 7.0.1.39 directly, without installing any previous version before.

Will the serial numbers of the purchased maps for QV5 still work?

Yes.

Where can I find this file?

If QV7 created this file it should be in the same folder as the ini file:

Windows 7 and 8: C:\users\public\documents\qv7_data
    Windows XP: C:\documents and settings\all users\documents\qv7_data

Since your original installation was TTQV5, there may be "TTQV5" instead of "QV7" in these paths.

Grüße
    Hans

• Hi,

This is to confirm that I can't install QV7 directly, because when I install the Weltkarte maps using Setup-world4mio.exe (bundled with QV5), a message pops up saying that I have to install QV5 first.

Regards,

Ray LEE

• Hi,

I have done a direct QV7 7.0.1.39 clean installation as suggested. I'm sad to say that the crash still occurs consistently with one track while there is no crash with the other track. Please note that both tracks are exactly the same, but imported at different times as noted in my previous posts.

Concerning the qv7_debug_[date]_[time].txt, I follow your instruction and I still can't find it. I am sure I have seen these debug files in my previous installations before, but somehow it's not there in this clean QV7 installation directory.

Anyway, I upload the .ini, tv3d_debug.txt, and the qv70.opt files of this fresh installation again. Hope that it helps.

Regards,

Ray LEE

Dateien

• qv7.ini.zip

(9,37 kB, 383 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • qv70.opt.zip

(1,41 kB, 389 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • tv3d_debug.txt.zip

(1,34 kB, 389 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
  • Hi Ray,

when I install the Weltkarte maps using Setup-world4mio.exe (bundled with QV5), a message pops up saying that I have to install QV5 first.

you did not mention that before. Yes, that special version of the Weltkarte can only be installed under QV5, but as long as you keep the respective qv5db file every newer version of QV should recognize and handle it. The maps and the qv5db files go into separate folders and are not kept in the QV program folder, usually there should be no need to reinstall any map if you switch to a newer version of QV.

Concerning the track problem I could reproduce the crash but could not find any fault in the files. I can only offer a workaround: Select the crashing track in QV7 and immediately export it as a new GPX track. After renaming the old one you can import the just created substitute which - on my machine - did not crash. No idea why...

Grüße
    Hans